A friend and I were speaking last night, and our conversation turned to end times signs. My friend has been sensing an urging from the Lord to start investing more time and energy in telling others about the importance of being ready and watchful. She expressed the fact that she doesn’t want to be an alarmist, but that she feels that many seem to be oblivious to the times in which we are living.
I see a variety of stances. Those that know very little to nothing of Biblical prophecy, those who are very focused on world events, news and politics (even to the level of living an active “prepper” lifestyle), those who know some prophecy but either trust God’s hand and will in their lives or don’t believe that they will be affected, and those that simply don’t care, they are focused on living their lives and planning/saving for their future.
For those of us who know and understand something of Biblical prophecy, it can be difficult to know how being “ready and watchful” is to be lived out. What does that really mean for us today in this political climate? Is there ever a time when we can be over prepared? The answer I believe is yes.
Christians concerned about the end times and those who believe we are currently living in them are right in declaring that we need to be ready. The Lord will come for His bride like a thief in the night. The issue becomes when our focus is placed more on the signs than on our Lord; when worry and anxiety overcome the peace of God in our hearts. There are Biblical accounts of men storing up wealth and treasure on earth yet scripture tells us clearly that this type of wealth is quickly destroyed and of no eternal benefit. So what does being “ready” look like? Here is a listing of how I believe Jesus taught us to live so that we are always ready for His return:
- Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength.
- Be certain of your salvation – accept Jesus Christ today as your personal Lord and Savior
- Walk daily with God. You must have a personal relationship with your Creator.
- Obey His commands. You can only do this if you know what they are. Read and study the Bible. Pray continually. (which really means to keep your eyes and focus on God not the world)
- Study prophecy. Seriously, you need spiritual eyes and spiritual wisdom that only come from God’s Holy Spirit to understand what God wrote so that you are aware of the times and seasons.
- Love others well through the love and forgiveness that you have received from God.
- Serve the Lord with gladness. While God has left us on this earth, He has called us to share the gospel and to serve others with His love.
Signs of the End of the Age
As he sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?” And Jesus answered them, “See that no one leads you astray. (Matthew 24:3-4 ESV)
Don’t take my word for it. Listen to what God has to say. The first thing Jesus told those who were closest to Him when they asked Him of the things to come was to see that no one lead them astray. Think for yourself. Know God’s truth for yourself.
Those who feel the need to stockpile food, ammunition, etc may be very disappointed in the end if their ultimate trust is not in God. However, if God has revealed to them the need to make such preparations, they are wise to do so. The answer for you is to be in constant prayer with God learning to listen to His voice in your life and being ready to immediately obey His call.
Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:4-7 ESV)
Keep your oil lamps full. Be ready. Listen to the Lord. Know the signs of the seasons. Eternity in heaven with God is going to be great! Be encouraged. Press on.